Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Bug Safari


So, Monday was my last day of vacation,
and since I am such the adventurer...
I went out into my yard.
 I looked for bugs. 
Yep, that's what I do!

Anyhoo.... I found a bunch in about ten minutes and here are a few.

 The Good and the Bad Guys.

(I swear, if any one ever finds my phone, they will wonder what kind of nut owns it. 
Only pics of dogs and bugs and Mapquest screenshots.)


Really Good Guy!

Soldier beetles or leather-winged beetles
 The larvae are soil dwellers that feed on insect eggs, aphids, small caterpillars, root maggots, rootworm larvae and other soft-bodied insects. Adult beetles feed on aphids; beetle larvae, including cucumber beetles; caterpillars; and grasshopper eggs.


He's a Good Guy, if you behave.

Most wasps are beneficial in their natural habitat, and are critically important in natural biocontrol.Paper wasps feed on nectar and other insects, including caterpillarsflies, and beetle larvae. Because they are a known pollinator and feed on known garden pests, paper wasps are often considered to be beneficial by gardeners

He's a cutie. But not a good guy.

Cucumber beetle.... definitely a BAD GUY.



Now this little fellow, he was interesting. He let me get so close to him.
It's really a shame he is so drab.
He flew away.
Then he came back to where I was sitting. He landed within inches of me.
Little bugger showed me! He flashed me a couple times. Then flew off.
I swear I heard him laughing a the look of surprise on my face!!

A Good and Handsome Guy.

Red Admiral Butterfly
Vanessa atalanta



Don't know what type of insect this little fellow and his teeny friend are, but they made a nice picture.


 
PS. If someone found your phone and didn't know you personally, what kind of weirdo would they think you are?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature

...