Personal Note: Using rice as a substitute for macaroni in macaroni and cheese is a definite NO-GO.
This is my simple menu with some of my favorite foods. Before you even ask, I am a definite carnivore. My meat choice is bloody rare, to the point that some people won't dine with me. It just so happens I'm not in the mood for meat.
So on to the menu....
Totally stolen from:
Servings: 2 Prep Time:10 minutes Cook Time:10 minutes
4 ounces dried rice noodles3 ounces fresh mushrooms2 bok choy, leaves separated8-10 ounces assorted seafood (fish, shrimp, scallops)1 stalk green onion, slicedIf using Miso & Easy:4 cups water2 tablespoons Miso & EasyIf using regular Miso paste:4 cups vegetable or chicken broth2 tablespoons miso paste
1. Soak the rice noodles in a bowl of cold water.
2. In a pot, bring the water (if using Miso & Easy) or broth (if using regular miso paste) to a simmer. Add in the vegetables, mushrooms and the seafood. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the seafood is almost cooked through.
3. Drain the rice noodles and add to the simmering broth. Cook for 30 seconds then turn off the heat.
4. Stir in the Miso & Easy or miso paste.
5. Divide into bowls and garnish with green onions.
serves 4, prep 5 min, cook time 30 min
- 4-8 oz fettuccine or linguine
- 10 tbsp butter, divided (I know, but I’ve tried it with less and it’s just not the same)
- 8 oz fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 oz cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (you can use dried herbs if that’s all you have)
- 2/3 cup boiling water (from your noodle pot)
- 1 lb cooked shrimp (feel free to buy frozen-gasp!)
- Boil and salt a large pot of water and cook your pasta. I usually only use about half of an 8 oz box, preferring fewer noodles.
- While your pasta is cooking, cook your shrimp if necessary and reserve. If your shrimp are pre-cooked and frozen, quickly thaw them under running water.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tbsp of butter over medium heat and saute mushrooms until soft and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve cooked mushrooms and melt remaining butter in the skillet. Add minced garlic, cream cheese, and herbs. At this point, I generally feel like something has gone terribly wrong. The cream cheese doesn’t really melt and starts to look almost curdled, don’t worry about it! It will all smooth out and be wonderful when we add the water. I promise.
- Simmer cream cheese mixture until well blended. Get a scoop of boiling pasta water from your noodle pot and mix it in, stirring quickly to smooth out the sauce.
- Keep sauce hot and add shrimp and mushrooms, mix well and simmer (stirring often) until everything is hot and thickened, about 10 minutes-you wont ruin this sauce by accidentally boiling it so don’t worry.
- Toss sauce with cooked noodles and serve.
Update for FYFV: Day 3 and all is well
Update for FYVS: Day 2 and all is well
Update for FYFA: ummm...haven't started yet
Update for 30 Days of the Move...see update for FYFA
PS. If the links do not work, let me know. I like to give credit where credit is due.
5 MONKEYS AND A CHICK